- Rahu enters Taurus on the September 19th, 2020 and leaves it on the March 17th, 2022
- Rahu’s transit through a sign is particularly significant for mundane (global) as well as individual effects.
- It creates a lasting effect in each of its transit that results in a tangible, visible and permanent change.
- Rahu's transit through Taurus has a special impact for India as Taurus is the lagna for India's Independence chart.
- Majorly, the impact will be felt on economy, leadership, calamities/disasters, scandals, power-struggle and notable demises
Rahu and Ketu will transit from the signs Taurus and Scorpio respectively beginning September 19th, 2020. The transit of Rahu and Ketu is one of the major events in Vedic Astrology that will bring about significant turn of events.
Below we analyse in detail the identity of Rahu-Ketu, the impact of the transit, and guidelines during the period. This is a two-part post. The first part deals with the mundane effect. The second part would deal with individual effects.
What are Rahu and Ketu?
Astronomically, Rahu and Ketu denote the points of intersection of the paths (Horizon) of the Sun and the Moon as they move on the celestial sphere. Therefore, Rahu and Ketu are respectively called the north and the south lunar nodes. In a more practical sense, Rahu and Ketu are the two loci of intersection of the lunar plane with the solar plane.
As they are the intersecting points, they affect Sun and Moon the most. It is on these points that lunar and solar eclipse occurs as they form a plane on which the Sun, the Moon and the Earth align. For this reason, Rahu & Ketu have been given great importance in Vedic astrology. While they’re not planets in the astronomical sense as they are not objects with a mass or visual presence, they’re mathematical loci that trace the point of eclipse for Sun and Moon. Hence, they are called shadow planets. It is only when the luminaries (the Sun and the Moon) reach them, can we observe their existence as an eclipse (shadow). As such, Vedic Astrology calls it a serpent and as objects that cast a shadow on the luminaries, their effects are mostly evil.
Rahu represents crimes, war, violence, clandestine activity, vindictiveness, and disasters of the worst kind. It is a planet of confusion, delusion, and stands for rebellion and mutiny. Anti-social and anti-religious activity, falsehood, jealousy and robbery, strikes, mobs, foreigners, and rumors all come in its purview.
Rahu is a slow-moving planet and takes nearly a year and a half to change its sign and nearly 18 years to travel across the entire Zodiac.
Rahu’s transit through a sign is particularly significant for mundane (global) as well as individual effects. It creates a lasting effect in each of its transit that results in a tangible, visible and permanent change. Particularly when transiting through a fixed sign, the permanence and strength of the result is more pronounced.
In the case of Rahu transit, it is important to note that it is the Rahu Ketu axis that matters – i.e. simultaneously two houses or signs get affected. This year’s position of true Rahu will change to Taurus from Gemini on the 19th of September 2020. Rahu will stay in Taurus till 17 March 2022. With Rahu transit, the Taurus- Scorpio axis will be affected.
Movement through Signs and Nakshatras
- Rahu enters Taurus on the September 19th, 2020 and leaves it on the March 17th, 2022
- Rahu will stay in Mrigshira Nakshatra till February 13th, 2021
- Rahu will enter Rohini on February 13th 2021 and remain there till September 19th 2021
- Between September 19th, 2021 and March 17th, 2022 Rahu will transit through Krittika Nakshatra
Timing of the Eclipses
Rahu’s transit through any sign has a special impact because of the eclipses that occurs on the Rahu -Ketu axis. During Rahu-Ketu’s transit, a total of six eclipses will befall on the sign of Taurus and Scorpio as below:
- November 29th/30th, 2020 (Lunar Eclipse - Date varies for different time-zones)
- December 14th, 2020 (Solar Eclipse)
- May 26th, 2021 (Lunar Eclipse)
- June 10th, 2021 (Solar Eclipse)
- November 18th/19th, 2021 (Lunar Eclipse - Date varies for different time-zones)
- December 4th, 2021 (Solar Eclipse
Transiting Influence of Other Planets
It is a cardinal principle of astrology that the transit results of a planet get modified due to other planets, their transits and relationships with transiting planets. The changes are especially pronounced for the superior planets Saturn, Jupiter and Mars. Within this context, following dates become important:
- Transit of Mars through Taurus - February 22nd, 2021 to April 14th, 2021
- Transit of Mars through Scorpio - December 2nd, 2021 to January 13th, 2022
- Formation of Kaal-Sarpa Yoga - December 11th, 2020 to April 13th, 2021
- Formation of Kaal-Sarpa Yoga - December 5th, 2021 to April 24th, 2022
Previous Impact on India
This transit is very important in relation to our country as Taurus is the lagna to India’s Independence chart where Rahu is posited. So Rahu's transit through Taurus has a special impact for India. In the past whenever Rahu has transited through Taurus it has brought about some very significant (negative) and lasting effects. Rahu has altogether completed 4 zodiac cycles after India’s independence and it is transiting in Taurus for the fifth time now. A summary of the impact Rahu has delivered is as below:
|April 10th, 1946 - December 15th, 1947||Hindu Muslim riots in Calcutta, India's independence, Massacre and migration in Punjab|
|November 16th, 1964 - July 18th, 1966||India's most powerful sea cyclone in Rameshwaram killed 2000 people, Indo-Pak War, Dhanbad coal mine disaster, Death of incumbent Prime Minister Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri|
|August 11th, 1983 - February 5th, 1985||Operation Blue Star, assassination of incumbent Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Delhi Sikh riots|
|February 28th, 2002 - August 28th, 2003||Godhra Scandal of Gujarat|
So, Rahu's transit through Taurus in the past has always given a striking and lasting effect. As such, the current transit of Rahu will also not be an exception either.
- Rahu- Ketu are transiting through the 2nd and 8th sign of the natural Zodiac ( Kaal-Purush Kundali ). Affliction to any house through malefic transits, eclipses and vedha adversely affect the significance of that house. These effects are felt across the globe. If these houses coincide with the country’s 2nd and 8th houses then the effect will be more pronounced.
- The 2nd house represents the financial condition of the nation, revenues of the state, national exchequer and the national wealth, and purchasing power of the nation. The economy of the country in general - gross national product, taxation and revenues. It also represents kutumb – different state Governments within the country.
- The 8th house represents the death of national rulers, presidents, prime ministers, kings or dictators, end of government, destruction of the state, any set back to State like the death of important ministers and personalities, trouble to the people through famines epidemics, mortality, death rates.
So, these areas will be adversely affected by Rahu- Ketu transit to Taurus and Scorpio – the 2nd and 8th house of the natural zodiac. The result will be felt throughout the globe. Rahu will definitely give a negative result in these fields.
- The economic position will not be good, for the world in general
- The earning of the masses will decrease
- Governments will be forced to take extraordinary measures to bail the nation out of these situations
- Some of the special measures will become a cause of serious criticism for Governments (across the world) such that they're remembered for decades as disasters
- States' position will also not be good - some major changes in country/state leaderships can not be ruled out. Defection and rebellion activities will increase
- Rahu always creates scandals, rumors, misunderstandings, and suspicious activities. You may also see the demise or downfall of some of the major personalities across the world.
Impact on India
The above-mentioned result will also impact India during the transit of Rahu through Taurus. The more precise result can be seen from India’s independence chart and New year chart.
Rahu and Ketu will transit through the 1-7 axis of India's independence chart. Previously when Rahu-Ketu were transiting through Gemini/Sagittarius axis, Rahu- Ketu had already crossed through the 2nd and 8th axis of India's independence chart and we have seen most of the results mentioned above already for India – economic slide, negative growth rate, pandemic, death of prominent personalities ( ex-president Pranav Mukherjee, Arun Jaitly, Sushma Swaraj), government changes in states, bank scandal, religious clashes etc.
Rahu- Ketu will now pass through the 1-7 axis of India independence chart- so its impact will be felt through the significance of first and seventh houses.
The First House Is the most important house because it represents people and the general condition of the country, public health, state of law and order, the reputation of the country/ leader and the nation as a whole, their behavior in the time of emergency, national disaster, and the ability of the nation to cope with it.
The seventh house represents enemies, wars, battles, open warfare, foreign secret agents. International affairs, national disputes, relation with other countries, foreign affairs. Death of secret enemies, agreement, alliances, marriages, and divorces. People who either violate the laws of the land like anti-social elements or the persons who cooperate with the government, Foreign trade and relation.
Affliction to the first and seventh houses means negative events related to the significance of these houses. Since Rahu is transiting through the natal position which is a friendly sign and 11th house from Moon and Lagna lord, the negative result related to the significance of the first house will be under check to some extent.
The following results can be expected during Rahu-Ketu present transit with respect to India:
- Corona pandemic will continue with reduced impact
- The border dispute is expected to increase in the coming month – a full-fledged war not indicated in the near future as Jupiter will aspect Rahu and conjoin Saturn after November
- Unexpected change of leadership or Government is possible in some states
- The economic position will gradually improve after November
- Change of Government or scandal/crisis in neighboring states is most likely
- Religious or regional clashes are possible- which will cause serious law and order problems
- You may hear news of the demise of important political, cultural and religious personality
- The Rahu- Mars conjunction period between 22.02.2021 to 14.04.2021 is not good – tension, natural calamity, earthquake, accidents, and unrest are certain
- Rahu transit through Krittika nakshatra- which is termed as Prachanda Nadi ruled by Saturn also indicates natural calamity and weather vagaries
- The entertainment industry will suffer the most – Rahu will transit through 8th house from Libra and all the eclipse and Rahu- Mars conjunction will be in the 2nd and 8th axis from Libra
- Rahu and the sign Scorpio are also the significators of the capital market, speculation and politics in general – these fields will be in news for the wrong reasons. Major ups and downs in the markets are indicated
- A new movement/ leader will emerge which will play a very important role in the coming future
All in all, the upcoming transit of Rahu and Ketu will be full of ups and downs. Major changes will be set in motion, many prevailing notions will change and new movements and priorities will come into light. Overall, while there may be turbulence, in the long run it will sail the world in the right direction.