Rahu & Ketu are very important planets in Vedic astrology as they control, confuse and deviate from the basics of existence and motives of one's life. They eclipses both the luminaries which are the primary source of life on Earth. As per Nadi literature, Rahu is Maya, lust & attachment; it is the cause of all existence and the reason for the existence of the world as we know it. Ketu on the other hand denotes detachment, disillusionment and going away from any material desires either because of choice or because of the prevailing conditions.
Hence, because of these significations the transit of Rahu & Ketu become among the most important for individual life. Rahu & Ketu are not one planet, but two nodes of the same plane. Their transits and movements are considered jointly or together as they do not have any separate existence. One is the northern (elevated) intersection point of ecliptic with the lunar orbit, while the other is the southern (depressed) intersection point. Mythologically, they are the parts of the same body, that of the demon Swarbhanu. While Rahu is the head, Ketu is the rest of the body.
It takes Rahu-Ketu about 18 years to complete one revolution of the Zodiac. In the lifetime of an average human, Rahu and Ketu are able to complete 4-5 rounds across the zodiac or they complete 4-5 cycles in the horoscope. In every such cycle, the results are slightly different because planets give the result as per the age and time through which the person is passing at that time. So when Rahu-Ketu return to their original position in the natal chart around the 18th year of age, they mostly effect education, health and parents.
Similarly, the result for each cycle can be deciphered as below:
- First Cycle (0-18 years) - Affects education, health and parents
- Second Cycle (18-36 years) - Affects relationships, career and children
- Third Cycle (36-54 years) - Domestic life, parents' health, status and recognition are affected
- Fourth Cycle (54-72 years) - Affects health, children and family relationships
These are the results one must keep in mind before doing any analysis for Rahu-Ketu.
Rules of Judgement
In general, the transit of planets are judged on the basis the following:
- Moon's sign or Lagna whichever is stronger
- Moorti Nirnaya - Moon's transit position at the time of Rahu-Ketu transit
- Anga Sancharana - On the basis of transit from a particular nakshatra with respect to the birth nakshatra
Transit from the Moon Sign or Ascendant (Lagna)
The classic texts define the following result for the transit of Rahu & Ketu:
|Planet||Benefic Placement||Affected Signs (Good)||Malefic Placements||Affected Signs (Bad)|
|Rahu||3rd, 6th and 11th||Pisces, Sagittarius, Cancer||1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 12th||Taurus, Aries, Aquarius, Capricorn, Scorpio, Libra, Virgo, Leo, Gemini|
|Ketu||3rd, 6th and 11th||Virgo, Gemini, Capricorn||1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 12th||Scorpio, Libra, Leo, Cancer, Taurus, Aries, Pisces, Aquarius, Sagittarius|
Along with the above general results, the following modifications need to be taken into account as well which are a result of Vedha or Vipareet Vedha.
- Positive result of Rahu for Pisces are curtailed when any planet transits Aquarius during Rahu transit to Taurus.
- Positive result of Sagittarius are curtailed when any planet transits Leo during Rahu transit to Taurus
- Positive result of Rahu for Cancer are curtailed when any planet transits Scorpio during Rahu transit to Taurus.
- Negative results of Rahu for Taurus, Aries, and Leo are neutralized when any planet transits to Taurus sign during Rahu transit to Taurus.
- Negative results of Rahu for Aquarius, Capricorn, Scorpio, Libra, Virgo, and Gemini are neutralized when any planet transits Aries during Rahu transit to Taurus.
- Positive results of Ketu for Virgo sign is curtailed when any planet transits Leo during Ketu transit to Scorpio.
- Positive results of Ketu for Gemini sign are curtailed when any planet transits Aquarius during Ketu transit to Scorpio.
- Positive results of Ketu for Capricorn are curtailed when any planet transits Taurus during Ketu transit to Scorpio.
- Negative results of Ketu for Scorpio, Libra, and Aquarius are neutralized when any planet transits Scorpio during Ketu transit to Scorpio.
- Negative results of Ketu for Leo, Cancer, Taurus, Pisces, Sagittarius, and Aries are neutralized when any planet transits Libra during Ketu transit to Scorpio.
Transit Results by Sign
Aries- For Aries born, the 2nd house transit is not good for family, finance, accumulation and health of the person as well as their spouse. People should not indulge in speculation or take unnecessary risk and be particular about their food.
Taurus - Transit of Rahu-Ketu is on 1-7 axis. It will affect health, self-esteem, relationships and business. People would face issues associated with identity/recognition; health and position may suffer. Be extra cautious in business dealing and in relationship matter. Change of residence/work is on the cards.
Gemini- Rahu-Ketu transit is in 6-12 axis. This is a relatively good transit. Long pending work or litigation will be resolved finances will improve. However, you should not lend money and be careful about your expenses. Long travel is also not desirable at the moment. Chronic patient might go through surgery.
Cancer - Rahu-Ketu transit is in the 5-11 axis which is very good for material well-being. Financial condition will improve, long standing desires will be fulfilled and forgotten money will be returned. You should be careful in matters of children and romance. For education and competitive exams this transit is not very favorable.
Leo - Rahu -Ketu transit is in the 10-4 axis. It will affect your career, property matters, family happiness, mother and basic education. Transit is not very good for these. Leo born people will face tough situation at workplace. Change of work or workplace may happen.
Virgo - Rahu -Ketu transit is in the 9-3 axis. Virgo born people should be careful in dealing with their parents or elder people. Health issues to parents, obstacles to journey, tension with brother and neighbors are indicated. Increase in expenses will also be felt.
Libra - Rahu -Ketu transit is in 8-2 axis. This is a bad transit. Libra born people should take extra precautions about their health. Accidental injuries and fall from position may happen. Old issues may come to haunt you. Control your reaction and speak less; else, family relations will be hampered.
Scorpio - Rahu -Ketu transit is in the 7-1 axis. It will negatively affect health, spouse, business and residence/ birth place. You should take extra precaution in dealing with your spouse and romantic or business partners as some adverse situation involving them may surface.
Sagittarius- Rahu- Ketu transit is in the 6-12 axis. It is relatively a good transit. Sagittarius born people should avoid taking loans and postpone their legal issues for some time (about a year). Be cautious in dealing with outside people, strangers, foreigners, etc.
Capricorn- Rahu- Ketu transit is in the 5-11 axis. It will affect children, speculation/gambling, love-life and creativity. You should not indulge in speculations, be careful about relationship with children and girlfriend. Financially, this is a pretty good transit.
Aquarius Rahu- Ketu transit is in the 4-10 axis. It will affect family life, property matters, mother, career and relationship with seniors. Aquarius born people will face hostile environment in their family and relationship with mother will suffer. Take extra precaution while purchasing movable and immovable properties. Try to be non-reactive at work place.
Pisces- Rahu- Ketu transit is in the 3-9 axis. This is good transit financially and materially. You should avoid unwanted journeys and be cautious in dealing with neighbor and associates. Father's health condition may decline.
Nakshatra Based Results
In a nutshell, the results attributed for various nakshatras through the anga-sancharan method for Rahu and Ketu's transit is as below:
|Transit Nakshatra as counted from Birth Nakshatra||Kaal-Purusha Body Part||Transit Result|
|1st (Birth Nakshatra of a person)||Face||Unhappiness, change|
|2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th||Right Hand||Happiness|
|6th, 7th and 8th||Right Foot||Travel|
|9th, 10th and 11th||Left Hand||Destruction, Losses|
|12th, 13th, 14th and 15th||Left Foot||Gain, wealth|
|16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th||Stomach||Name and fame, happiness|
|21st, 22nd and 23rd||Head||Happiness|
|24th and 25th||Eyes||Confusion, but good results|
|26th and 27th||Back||Setback, health issues|
As per the above chart the bad results are for the below Nakshatras:
Rahu's Bad Results:
- Mrigshira, Hasta, Chitra, Swati, Rohini, Krittika, Bharni and Ashwini till Rahu transits to Mrigshira nakshatra i.e. from 19 September to 13 Feb 2021
- Rohini, UttraPhalguni, Hasta, Chitra, Kritika, Bharni, Ashwini, and Revati up to the period from Feb 2021 to September 2021 when Rahu transits through Rohini nakshatra
- Krittika, PurvaPhalguni, UttraPhalguni, Hasta, Bharni, Ashwini, Revati, and Uttarbhadrapad From September 2021 to March 2022 when Rahu transits through Krittika.
Ketu's Bad Results:
- Jyestha, Anuradha, Vishakha, Uttarbhadrapad, Revati, and Ashwini born Nakshatra till 10 5 2021 when Ketu stays in Jyestha Nakshatra
- Anuradha, Vishakha, Shatbhisha, Purvabhadrapad, Uttarbhadrapad, and Revati born people till 14.02.2022 when Ketu transits through Anuradha Nakshatra
- Vishakha, Swati, Chitra, Shatbhisha, Purvabhadrapad, Uttrabhadrapad born people will experience bad result till Ketu stays in Vishakha Nakshatra.